What is a rational Christian perspective concerning the use of animals?
Are you fixating on the pro-carnism teachings of “the apostle” Paul, instead of knowing and following the perfectly good and living Creator and His/Her son Yeshua?
What did Yeshua (a.k.a. Jesus) really teach concerning animals? Why did he say, “Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture [Hosea 6:6]: ‘I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.'”?
Pro-Vegan Content in The Bible:
- Genesis 1:29-30 — “Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you.” And I have given every green plant as food for all the wild animals, the birds in the sky, and the small animals that scurry along the ground–everything that has life.” And that is what happened.“
- Psalms 50:11-14 — “I know every bird on the mountains, and all the animals of the field are mine. If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for all the world is mine and everything in it. Do I eat the flesh of bulls or drink the blood of goats? Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God [not animals], and keep the vows you made to the Most High.”
- Isaiah 1:11 — “What makes you think I want all your sacrifices?” says the LORD. “I am sick of your burnt offerings of rams and the fat of fattened cattle. I get no pleasure from the blood of bulls and lambs and goats.”
- Isaiah 11:9 — “They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.”
- Isaiah 65:25 & 66:3 — “The wolf and the lamb shall graze together; the lion shall eat straw like the ox, and dust shall be the serpent’s food. They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,” says the LORD.” … “But those who choose their own ways–delighting in their detestable sins–will not have their offerings accepted. When such people sacrifice a bull, it is no more acceptable than a human sacrifice. When they sacrifice a lamb, it’s as though they had sacrificed a dog!”
- Hosea 6:6 & 8:13 — “For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.” … “Though they offer sacrifices as gifts to me, and though they eat the meat, the LORD is not pleased with them. Now he will remember their wickedness and punish their sins: They will return to Egypt.”
- Hosea 2:18 — “In that day I will make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field, the birds in the sky and the creatures that move along the ground. Bow and sword and battle I will abolish from the land, so that all may lie down in safety.”
- Jesus said that the greatest commandments are “to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your might. And the second is similar: Love others as yourself. Within these two commandments are the whole Law and all the teachings of the prophets” (Matthew 22:37-40 // Mark 12:29-31). Animals are “others” too, they are other sentient beings we share this planet with; only immoral rationalizations cloud this simple and clear truth.
Anti-Vegan Content in the Bible:
Did Jesus really eat fish? Apparently not, which makes a lot of sense:
- The Lost Religion of Jesus: Simple Living and Nonviolence in Early Christianity by Keith Akers (compassionatespirit.com)
- James the Brother of Jesus: The Key to Unlocking the Secrets of Early Christianity and the Dead Sea Scrolls by
- The World Peace Diet by Will Tuttle, Ph.D (worldpeacediet.com)
- Becoming Vegan, Express Edition: The Everyday Guide to Plant-based Nutrition (2013) by
- Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism by Melanie Joy Ph.D (carnism.org)
- Comfortably Unaware: What We Choose to Eat Is Killing Us and Our Planet by
- Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health, Paperback (2011), by
- Sweet Potato Soul
- Mic the Vegan
- Vegan Cooking with Love
- Physicians Committee on Responsible Medicine
- Nutrition Facts
A Spanish version of this website: https://veganocristiano.wordpress.com/